Ghost Pods of San Zhi

By | October 18, 2006

Abandoned Pods of San Zhi
Photo credit: Cypher

I can’t remember where I originally saw this story, but the image above is from an abandoned ‘Pod City’ in San Zhi, Taiwan.

Apparently, this podular housing was meant as a luxury vacation spot. But, after numerous fatal accidents during construction, the project was abandoned. Locals say the area is now haunted by those who died in vain and because they are not remembered, they linger there unable to pass on.

Unfortunately, the project may never be restarted, or even torn down because destroying the homes of spirits and lost souls is a HUGE no-no in Asian culture. So, it may just sit there rusting away for a long, long time.

I think these look really cool, but honestly, I half expect to see the Dharma Initiative logo stenciled on the side.

There’s more info and pictures here. Higher resolution images here. And, you can view the site in Google Earth with this file.

9 Comments

Richard on October 23, 2006 at 9:31 am.

The full-size one from Flickr makes an awesome desktop picture :-D

Daniel on October 25, 2006 at 10:19 am.

I do not like this HDR pictures.. :P

Stig on February 15, 2008 at 5:04 pm.

What is HDR?

paul on February 15, 2008 at 5:40 pm.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. It’s a process of showing all the detail in both the hilight and shadow areas of a photograph.

Cydwatts on April 2, 2008 at 8:29 pm.

Man, I could so live there. I can deal with ghosts. Biggest problem would be the clean up.

Aweather on December 6, 2008 at 1:20 pm.

I’m from Taipei, Taiwan, and I live near to these abaondoned houses. Actually, no accidents occured during the constrction. They stopped building the resort only because of short funds. The place isn’t haunted anyway.

For reference:

It’s in Traditional Chinese, anyway, you can try to translate it by google.

fabian on February 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm.

Hey there …. I love the HDR effect. How can I make this effect with my photos? Can you give soem tips please. I have photoshop.

By the way, also living in Taipei, and know some great scenic spots..

All the best

Fabian

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.